Capitolshots Photography has images of the following former state capitols available. Please click to see the entire collection of photos for each building. All photos Copyright Capitolshots Photography, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Photos of the Old State House in Little Rock, Arkansas. Designed by Gideon Shryock and George Weigart and constructed between 1833 and 1842, the Greek Revival structure is the oldest existing state capitol west of the Mississippi. The building served as the Arkansas state capitol until the existing capitol was occupied in 1912. Now the Old State House Museum, the building is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Benicia Capitol in Benicia, California. Built in 1852 for use as Benicia's city hall, the brick Greek Revival structure was offered to the state for use as the California state capitol. The legislature convened in the building for one year until the state capital was relocated to Sacramento in 1854. The building then served as the Solano County Courthouse until the county seat was relocated to Fairfield in 1858. The Benicia Capitol, part of Benicia Capitol State Historic Park, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a California Historical Landmark.
Photos of the Old State House in Hartford, Connecticut. Designed by Charles Bulfinch and constructed between 1792 and 1796, the building served as the Connecticut state capitol until the current capitol was completed in 1878. At the same time, the building housed the courts of Hartford County. After the state government and county courts left the building in the 1870s, the building served as Hartford City Hall until approximately 1913. The Old State House is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Old State House in Dover, Delaware. Originally commissioned by Kent County as the county's courthouse, the Georgian structure was built between 1787 and 1791. Kent County and the State of Delaware shared the building until Kent County built a newer courthouse nearby in 1874. The building continued to serve as the Delaware state capitol until 1933, when Legislative Hall was completed just to the east. The Old State House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photos of the Florida Historic Capitol in Tallahassee, Florida. Completed in 1845, the Classical Revival former Florida state capitol was renovated and expanded several times over the years. Florida's current state capitol, a skyscraper built in 1977, stands immediately to the west. Restored to its 1902 appearance, the Florida Historic Capitol is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photos of Iolani Palace in Honolulu, Hawaii. Designed by Thomas J. Baker, Charles J. Wall, and Isaac Moore and completed in 1882, the Italianate structure was the official residence of the last two monarchs of the Hawaiian Kingdom. The building later served as the capitol for the Provisional Government, Republic, Territory and State of Hawaii until the current Hawaii state capitol was completed just to the north in 1969. Iolani Palace is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Old State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois. Designed by John F. Rague and constructed between 1837 and 1840, the Greek Revival structure served as the Illinois state capitol until 1876, when the current capitol was completed. The building then served as the Sangamon County Courthouse from 1876 through 1966, when the county retroceded the building back to the state. The building has been restored to its 1860 appearance. The Old State Capitol is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Vandalia State House in Vandalia, Illinois. Built in 1836, the Federal-style structure served as the Illinois state capitol from 1836 until 1839, when the seat of government was moved to Springfield. The building then served as the Fayette County Courthouse until 1933, when the building retroceded to the state. The Vandalia State House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photos of the Old State Capitol in Iowa City, Iowa. Designed by John F. Rague and completed in 1842, the Greek Revival structure served as the last territorial capitol of Iowa and, from 1846 through 1857, as the first Iowa state capitol, after which the state government relocated to Des Moines. The building now sits on the campus of the University of Iowa and houses the Old Capitol Museum. The Old State Capitol is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Newport Colony House in Newport, Rhode Island. Designed by Richard Munday and completed in 1741, the building became the meeting place for the colonial legislature. From independence through the occupation of the Rhode Island State House in 1901, the state assembly alternated its sessions between this building and the Old State House in Providence. The building later served as the Newport County Courthouse until 1926. The Newport Colony House is a National Historic Landmark.
Photos of the Old State House in Providence, Rhode Island. Built in 1762, the Georgian-style building was a meeting place for the colonial and state assembly, as Rhode Island adopted the custom of rotating its legislative sessions between the state's five county seats. The Old State House continued to host the state assembly on a regular basis until the Rhode Island State House was occupied in 1901. The building also served as the Providence County Courthouse until the mid-1870s. The Old State House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photos of the Old Capitol Building in Olympia, Washington. Designed by Willis A. Ritchie and constructed between 1890 and 1892, the stone Romanesque Revival structure originally served as the Thurston County Courthouse. The State of Washington purchased the building and used it as the state capitol from 1905 until 1928, when the State Legislature moved to the current Washington state capitol. The Old Capitol Building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Photos of the First State Capitol in Wheeling, West Virginia. Built in 1858, the building hosted West Virginia's state government from the state's founding in 1863 through 1870, and again between 1875 and 1876, as the state's capital switched several times between Wheeling and Charleston. After the capital was permanently relocated to Charleston, the building served for a number of years as Wheeling City Hall and as the Ohio County Courthouse. The First State Capitol today hosts private offices.